Failed kitchen experiments and culinary hacks.
Quick Japanese Pickles
Quick Japanese Pickles with Wasabi and Rice Vinegar
- 1 lb Japanese or Kirby cucumbers (about 5)
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- Very thinly slice cucumbers crosswise with slicer; toss with 1 teaspoon salt and drain in a colander 15 minutes.
- Rinse cucumbers under cold water, then squeeze handfuls to remove excess water; pat dry.
- Stir together wasabi powder and water in a bowl and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce, whisking until sugar has dissolved. Add cucumbers and toss well.